The reaction engineering group is looking for a Master's student to evaluate and improve new design tools. The focus is on modelling, including implementing heat transfer functions into a new CFD approach. Also, preliminary tests in spreadsheets or visualizations by graphics tools are part of the envisioned work. The plan is to start with an internship of 3 months to learn about the environment and practical applications. The master's thesis will focus on single-phase CFD for heat transfer in complex geometries. Highly motivated students with a strong modelling background will enjoy this variety of methods.
In the design and scale-up of complex reactors, large potential for improving energy and raw material utilization can be found. For new sustainable chemical processes and for optimization of existing facilities, improved understanding and modelling of thermodynamic, kinetic and fluid dynamic details in reactors is essential.
Internship (German: Pflichtpraktikum oder freiwilliges Praktikum): learn about industrial workflows while testing new methods using Matlab/Python or evaluating experimental data to find optimization potentials. Trying new ideas and applying scientific findings are the aims for the internship.
Master's thesis: you focus on evaluating and improving modern CFD code for quick and user-friendly application in reactor design tasks like stirred tanks with complex rheology, especially for heat transfer.
The tasks are in the scope of classic reaction engineering modelling (no experimental work). The following skills and qualifications are needed for successful application:
- You are close to finishing your Master's degree in chemical engineering or process engineering
- The focus of your studies is reaction engineering or fluid dynamics with a strong modelling background
- You must have programming experience, ideally in Matlab or Python
- Ideally, you have run fluid dynamics simulations in practical applications during your studies or internships
- Strong motivation, perseverance and creativity drive your actions
- Very good language level in either German or English
- From day one you will be part of the BASF family.
- You will get involved in challenging fields of activity and have the opportunity to work on excitiang projects in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Depending on the location of the respective group company you will get to know BASF and participate in various workshops and guided tours.
- In this way you will make numerous interesting experiences and get a deep insight into the world's leading chemical company. Information regarding internships: on.basf.com/internship
Do you have any questions about the application process or the position? Please reach out to: Laura Bogner, firstname.lastname@example.org
Your internship is organized in the group reaction engineering as part of BASF's central research unit. Joining this team, current research topics and process optimizations are going to be relevant for you from day one, including qualified technical supervisors, exciting fields of technology and independent work on own tasks. During the internship, there will be opportunities to learn about other units in BASF, meet students from a range of backgrounds and to visit production facilities. For the planned tasks, working from home is possible for a significant fraction of time.
BASF SE, located in Ludwigshafen am Rhein, is the corporate headquarters of the BASF Group and part of the Rhine-Neckar Metropolitan Region. BASF stands for competence in chemistry since 1865 and is represented today in the world's major consumer markets, with a wide range of products. As the largest employer in the region, BASF SE offers multiple career opportunities for students, university graduates and professionals providing also training in over 30 professions. Leisure, sports, culture and a good infrastructure characterize the Rhine-Neckar Metropolitan Region, in which BASF is also involved with numerous activities. Learn more about BASF SE at http://on.basf.com/BASFSE_LU
At BASF, the chemistry is right. Because we are counting on innovative solutions, on sustainable actions, and on connected thinking. And on you. Become a part of our formula for success and develop the future with us - in a global team that embraces diversity and equal opportunities irrespective of gender, age, origin, sexual orientation, disability or belief.
Please note that we do not return paper applications including folders. Please submit copies only and no original documents.
Please upload the documents, summarized in a PDF if possible.