Type of contract Traineeship
Who can apply? EU nationals eligible for our traineeship programme
Grant The trainee grant is €1,070 per month plus an accommodation allowance (see further information section)
Working time Full time
Place of work Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Closing date 10.10.2022
You will be part of our highly motivated Information Technology (IT) security teams, either in the Digital Security Services Division (in the Directorate General Information Systems) or the Supervisory Risk – Non-Financial Risk Division (in the Directorate General Horizontal Line Supervision, which is part of ECB Banking Supervision). We design, implement and operate IT security solutions and carry out information security governance tasks. We provide bank-wide assurance on IT security risk and we organise, monitor and coordinate horizontal activities relating to IT risk in banking supervision.
In your role as a trainee in one of our IT security teams, you will either help to protect the IT assets of the ECB and the European System of Central Banks or contribute to IT banking supervision activities. This will involve working closely with stakeholders in the ECB’s Directorate General Information Systems and other business areas, as well as at national central banks and national supervisory authorities.
The Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM) is the system of banking supervision in Europe. It comprises the ECB and the national supervisory authorities of the participating countries.
The ECB is an inclusive employer and we strive to reflect the diversity of the population we serve. We encourage you to apply irrespective of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other characteristics.
You will gain insight and hands-on experience in the real-life application of IT security according to international standards and methods. You will work in a team under the guidance of a mentor, taking initiative and contributing to the work of your division.
As a trainee in the Digital Security Services Division, you will:
- contribute to security engineering, security operations or security governance activities in areas such as IT risk management, communication and network security, identity and access management, cloud security, vulnerability management, penetration testing, threat intelligence and security awareness.
As a trainee in the Supervisory Risk – Non-Financial Risk Division in ECB Banking Supervision, you will:
- contribute to supporting Joint Supervisory Teams in IT risk supervision (in areas such as cyber incident reporting, IT metrics and training);
- participate in IT risk data analysis for the preparation of notes, memoranda, external publications and dossiers.
The position offers you excellent opportunities to apply state-of-the-art concepts and methods to protect information assets and gain experience across a range of information security topics. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a bachelor’s degree or higher in the field of computer science, IT engineering, mathematics or another relevant field;
- good IT and analytical skills;
- familiarity with one or more information security or cyber resilience concepts such as IT risk management, identity and access management, network security, threat intelligence, security assessment and vulnerability management;
- a good knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- an advanced (C1) command of English and an intermediate (B1) command of at least one other official language of the EU, according to .
- knowledge of international IT security standards or frameworks (e.g. the ISO 27000 family, COBIT or NIST);
- programming or scripting skills relevant to security engineering or data analysis;
- knowledge of operational risk management frameworks.
You are curious and eager to learn, and want to further develop your ability to analyse complex information. You are keen to collaborate with others, pursue team goals and learn from other people’s diverse perspectives. You strive to know and anticipate stakeholder needs, and will signal any need for change and propose alternative solutions.
You are motivated to contribute to the ECB’s mission, to serve the citizens of the EU as a member of a public institution and to work with colleagues from all over Europe. You are keen to be part of our team and to use your skills and competencies to achieve the objectives of this position.
Playing a role at the European Central Bank and in European banking supervision entails collaborating in multinational and multicultural teams and operating in the context of different national frameworks, for which a strong ability to use different EU languages for business purposes is an asset.
Traineeship of between 6 and 12 months in total.
For additional information on this specific vacancy, you can contact:
Digital Security Services: Federico.Leopizzi@ecb.europa.eu
Non-Financial Risk: Vasiliki.Bourna@ecb.europa.eu
Application and selection process
Further information on how to join us is available on our .
The recruitment process for this position will include an online interview.
If you are not selected for this position but are still considered suitable, you will be placed on a reserve list for 12 months from the closing date for applications, from which you might be considered for similar positions within the ECB.