Interpretation Program Manager
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity, and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
The Corporate Services Department within Global Corporate Solutions (GCS) provides services to the World Bank Group in the areas of Translation and Interpretation; Graphic Design and Publications; Printing; Interactive Media; Travel and Visa services; Food and Conference Services; Mail and Shipping; Staff Services; and the Art Program. The Department also provides administrative support and oversight to the World Bank Family Network, the World Bank Group Staff Association, and the 1818 Society, and is responsible for setting the policy framework and service standards, and for delivering services through a combination of staff and vendors at HQ and in Country Offices. GCSCS has about 130 staff and about 1000 contractors.
The purpose of the Translation and Interpretation Unit (GCSTI) is to facilitate the World Bank Group’s communication with its member governments, with a wide range of institutions, civil society associations, nongovernmental organizations, and other entities, by providing translation and conference interpretation services. The successful candidate will contribute to the Global Interpretation Program, which provides virtual, hybrid and in-person interpretation services at HQ and country offices around the world. He/she will work on extending interpretation services regionally using local hires and technology-based tools.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Leads the Global Interpretation Program within GCS Translation and Interpretation Unit.
- Ensures best practices are applied to the interpretation services, including service standards, quality standards, responsiveness to client needs, and consideration of client feedback.
- Provides technical leadership and managerial support, ensuring that the Program is carried out efficiently and effectively.
- Manages monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of key performance indicators and other reporting requirements and mechanisms.
- Leads hiring and periodic evaluation of top-quality freelance interpreters around the world, leveraging academic and business relationships and industry associations.
- Leads client engagement and client outreach for interpretation services within the organization, including surveying, face-to-face meetings, and presentations.
- Liaises with and leverages partnerships in other International Organizations, UN Agencies, and research and educational institutions in the field of interpretation.
- Assesses the level of difficulty of a conference or meeting and works with the project coordinators to assemble a team of interpreters anywhere in the world that would ensure high quality output and overall success while being cost conscious.
- Supervises all aspects of the interpretation process (needs assessment, client liaison, cost estimate, identification of resources, on the ground quality assurance, vendor management, vendor development, etc.).
- Works to resolve differences and issues on the team or between the team and clients and leads the team through challenges.
- Participates in interpretation assignments into mother tongue (A language) from one or several passive languages (B or C languages) and back into B language at a near native level.
- English A or B and at least one other active language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish). One or more passive languages will be considered a plus.
- Master’s degree in interpretation with five years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least five years of experience in providing professional interpretation services in a broad spectrum of subject areas for a diverse audience and in very different settings.
- Availability and willingness to travel on interpretation assignments, to recruit local talent, and to promote the business.
- Proven skills and experience in advising management regarding the business of interpretation, workflow, resources, testing, training, and recruitment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in the consecutive, simultaneous, and whispered modes of interpretation, with the requisite flexibility to adapt the mode to the needs of the assignment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide conference interpretation services in the booth, with portable equipment and with virtual interpretation platforms.
- Ability to work at every level of the Bank’s organization, be it for the President, the Managing Directors, or technical experts in the field.
- Ability to work in all areas covered by the Bank and its partners, ranging from environmental issues to agricultural research or finance.
- Ability to undertake interpretation assignments of a sensitive or confidential nature and often on short notice.
- Proficiency in the use of web-based terminology and reference tools.
- Ability to work under very tight deadlines.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the and , including our values and inspiring stories.