Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you.
Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition into work with us.
- Responsible for your Safety and others that may be affected by your work.
- Carry out installation and alteration work on signalling equipment and complete appropriate inspections to ensure the work meets contract specifications, agreed timescales and agreed performance parameters.
- Carry out inspections of signalling installation systems and circuits to identify and correct non-compliance to specifications.
- Adhere to the requirements of SNC Lavalin/Atkins standards, procedures, processes and Project Plans to enable efficient and cost-effective completion of contract work.
- Co-operate with quality, safety and environmental objectives and contribute, where appropriate, to SNC Lavalin/Atkins commitment for continual improvement.
- Keep abreast of emerging standards relating to signalling installation and assist with their implementation as directed.
- Responsible for reporting and recording progress of work. Identify any areas of concern to your Team leader/Supervisor as soon as practicable.
- Perform all work to produce a product that: -
- Meets the needs of the client.
- Is delivered against quality, safety, and environment standards (Business Management System/Transportation Deliver Work - BMS/TDW).
- Conforms to professional and recognised engineering standards.
- Meets all safety requirements.
- Does not cause any disruption to the existing infrastructure.
- Co-operate with performance development reviews (PDR’s), attend training courses and progress skills to promote your own advancement and to raise the Company profile.
- Co-operate and assist as directed with the IRSE Licensing and assessment process.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Hold IRSE Installation Licence.
- Knowledge and experience of the rail industry and associated rules and regulations.
- Formal Signalling training essential in line with Atkins Construction Training Matrix.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a team environment.
Quality, Safety and Environment Information:
- SNC Lavalin/Atkins provides a fully comprehensive legislation, quality, safety and environment standards information service via its BMS & TDW sharepoint sites.
- Where appropriate to the duties performed, access to the NR Rule Book can be obtained via the Rule book A.
Safety Critical Work:
- This role includes safety critical work activities in accordance with “Railway and Other Guided.
- Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006 (ROGS)”.
- The following competences in connection with track safety activities are also defined as safety critical. Associated activities may be allocated to individuals within this role profile where appropriate certification and assessment in accordance with client requirements is established.
- Track Safety Activities Defined as Safety Critical.
- Hand Signaller (HS).
- Lookout/Site Warden (LO/SW).
- Person in charge (PIC).
- Individual Working Alone (IWA).
- Controller of Site Safety (COSS).
- Safe Work Leader (SWL).
- Points Operator (PO).
- Level Crossing Attendant (LXA).
- Engineering Supervisor/Safe Work Leader 2 (ES/SWL2).
- Protection Controller (PC).
- Person In Charge of Possession (PICOP).
- Senior Person In Charge of Possession (SPICOP).
- Authorised person OHLE (AP).
- Nominated person OHLE (NP).
- All safety critical work activities require compliance with the SNC Lavalin/Atkins Business Management Procedure “Safety Critical Work”.
Quality, Safety and Environmental Responsibilities:
- The following details the minimum quality, safety and environmental responsibilities expected in this role.
- Co-operate in all safety and environmental matters to help SNC Lavalin/Atkins meet its legal and contractual safety responsibilities.
- Comply with legislation, company standards, contract conditions, Work package plans/Task Briefings and measures to control risks identified in your activities.
- Notify your team leader of any new hazards to health and safety imported by your activities and assist as necessary with risk assessments and identification of control measures.
- Communicate with other groups connected with, or affected by, your activities to clarify areas of demarcation and responsibilities.
- Maintain your certification in-date and carry it, together with identification, for inspection purposes. Report requirement for re-certification to your manager and attend training as requested.
- Do not undertake duties for which you do not have the required experience and qualifications.
- Comply with technical changes/work practices (Client Company and Railway Group Standards) notified to you and check that safety issues are adequately dealt with.
- Assist with the continual development of systems and processes by co-operating with audits and the progression of actions for improvement.
- Report for duty to the supervisor and follow all sign in requirements.
- Report all health, safety and environmental incidents and accidents through MyQSSE.
- Adhere to the SNC Lavalin/Atkins Drug and Alcohol Policy and co-operate with screening requirements.
- Adhere to the SNC Lavalin/Atkins Fatigue and Working Time Arrangements by recording excessive hours worked on the appropriate form.
- Complete rostered hours change forms and submit.
- Complete any company required documentation and ensure that they are submitted on time.
- Attend safety meetings and briefings and read all safety information sent to you.
- Use Personal Protective Equipment, safety, measuring and test equipment issued to you, or made available for your use, in the proper manner. Keep it fit for purpose by careful use, storage and, where appropriate, check that inspection and testing is in date.
- Do not use equipment that has not been formally approved for used into SNC Lavalin/Atkins work processes.
- Comply with arrangements for dealing with fire evacuation, other emergency situations and first aid arrangements.
- If you are a PIC/Safe Work Leader/Controller of Site Safety, ensure that persons under your control are briefed regarding the safe system of work, the risk control measures applicable, and that necessary documentary evidence is completed prior to starting work.
- If you are a Lookout or Site Warden, you must always comply with instruction from your SWL/COSS and remain alert to the safety of the group you are protecting.
- You must complete the SNC Lavalin/Atkins mandatory online training courses via Learning Zone.
Meeting your needs:To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us:Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed.
Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.