Requisition ID: 140539
Job Level: Mid Level
Employment Type: Full Time
As a Safety Coordinator, you will report to Project Safety Manager. Your primary responsibilities centers on the successful implementation and support of the Site-Specific Safety Plan in the field. You will assist the Project Safety Manager with the application of the contract, client safety expectations, Corporate Safety Manual, Corporate Crane Procedures Manual, District Standards, and all laws governing the work. You will also verify to ensure that work is being executed as planned, problem-solve with operations and craft, assist with corrective measures, and provide resources to correct and maintain solutions.
Kiewit Energy Canada is headquartered in Calgary, Alberta. We are a major industrial contractor that work on projects that involve construction of oil & gas facilities such as oilsands processing, including steam–assisted gravity drainage facilities, upgrading & refining, midstream facilities, power & co-generation, terminal projects (ex. LNG, LPG, etc.), and major mine developments. We also have a Modular Yard facility in Edmonton, Alberta. Our engineering branch is a leading-edge division that offers innovative engineering services for our current projects and new pursuits in Canada. Our design services group are based in Calgary and Houston offering expertise in process, piping, mechanical, electrical and civil/structural disciplines.
One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom-designed to meet our shared needs.
- Collaborate with the craft every day in the field to encourage buy-in of our safety program and to support craft ownership of the safety program
- Exercise Stop Work Responsibility to ensure adherence to company policies, regulations, work plans, work packs, and detailed work plans
- Plan, prioritize, and problem-solve with operations in the field every day based on leading indicator trends and upcoming work
- Encourage, support, inspire, and advise staff and craft employees to execute the SSSP
- Assist with maintaining project files in compliance with OSHA/MSHA regulations and in compliance with our policies including accident/injury files
- Assist with first aid and maintain relationships with emergency medical services and clinics
- Assist with KieTrac entry, incident investigations, and implementation of effective solution
- Complete a daily documented hazard inspection and assist operations, craft, and subcontractors with implementation of corrective actions
- Review work plans, work packs, and detailed work plans prior to the start of work
- Assist and provide safety training on policies, procedures, OSHA/MSHA, NCCER, SIMS, orientation, and client specific requirements
- The ability to travel and relocate as required
- Degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Safety, or a related field of study is preferred
- Knowledge of construction safety, current Federal and OSHA requirements
- Certification as a Safety Professional or Emergency Medical Technician is preferred
- Working knowledge of computers and experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies
- Strong work ethic - Willing to do what it takes to get the job done
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment
- Absent an approved exemption, due to federal, state, local, provincial and/or client-requirements, this position requires an individual to be fully vaccinated by a Health Canada-approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccine upon hire and as a condition of continued employment.
We believe in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination and comply with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.