Share this job
SVGs not supported by this browser.
- SVGs not supported by this browser. Facebook
- SVGs not supported by this browser. Twitter
- SVGs not supported by this browser. LinkedIn
Job Summary & Purpose:GamesRadar+ seeks an experienced News Editor, with proven digital skills and an enviable contacts book, to take its news coverage to the next level. Results-driven, and with an uncanny eye for a story, you’ll be excited by the challenge of growing a dedicated audience and developing the site’s industry presence.
Reporting to the Global Editor-in-Chief of GamesRadar+, you will be responsible for growing, maintaining and enhancing the News output of the site, focusing on multiformat and PC gaming, as well as entertainment news spanning popular TV and film. The role will include management of the news team across the UK and US to ensure a high daily volume of news content that connects with the audience across the website, and via social channels.
A key part of this role is the responsibility to ensure GamesRadar+ is regularly breaking news stories ahead of rivals. This will involve playing a hands-on role in sourcing and developing news stories, as well as helping further develop the team’s skills in this area to ensure that GamesRadar+ is increasingly seen as a primary source of breaking gaming and entertainment news.
The proven ability to write news headlines that instantly capture readers’ attention is an absolute must. The News Editor will also conduct interviews, attend events, and help with the creation of any content on site as directed by the Global EiC. The role may also be required to assist with the production of video-based articles, podcasts, and event/junket coverage.
The News Editor is also responsible for working with our associated gaming magazine brands - Edge, Play, and RetroGamer - to maximise the news potential of their original content, creating unique headlines from exclusive content, and helping to draw attention to each title.
The successful candidate will develop a schedule of regular articles that need to be regularly updated, working closely with the Global EiC and other team members to manage a freelance budget and internal / external contributors.
The News Editor will also need to respond to reasonable requests from senior members of the editorial teams to help create and develop any of the department’s output, including its websites, magazines, video, and social media.
Overseas travel to attend news conferences and events will be required, and it is imperative that 24/7 news delivery is maintained for our global audiences.
Example of content types responsible for: news, features, video interviews, event coverage, social coverage of key industry events.
Other responsibilities: managing freelancers, sub-editing copy, developing new and strengthening existing relationships with gaming studios and publishers to source exclusive, breaking news for GamesRadar+. The News Editor may also be required to pivot to other work during peak seasonal times (e.g. ecommerce-driven content during peak trading months).
The job requires attention to detail, good organisation skills, a calm approach, self-discipline, cross-platform multi-tasking, industry contacts and a passion for games, movies and TV.
Key role responsibilities:
- Managing the GR+ news team to ensure delivery of agreed and budgeted content types and volumes.
- Proactively delivering news exclusives first on GamesRadar - having an excellent industry contacts book, and a talent to see the interesting angle in any story.
- Developing the skills of the news team, ad ensuring that the desire to be first and best with news stories is embedded throughout the team
- Unearthing and exploring new opportunities based on minute by minute trends, keyword research, events, and seasonality.
- Working closely with other teams in the business to improve performance, whether that be audience development, commercial or ecommerce.
- Tracking success against KPIs through internal audience and revenue reports (GA, AWR, Parsley, etc) to inform and develop the site’s news strategy.
- Keeping a close eye on competitor brands, and ensuring that GR+ is outperforming rivals in the news space
- Working closely with our magazine brands to create original news content.
What do I need to succeed?
- A passion for and thorough understanding of Gaming and Entertainment
- A hunger to be #1 when it comes to breaking news stories
- Being able to write accurate and engaging copy quickly on a daily basis
- A proven ability to deliver sparkling headlines that instantly capture readers’ attention
- A deep understanding of the key social channels, and how to use them to best amplify GR’s news content
- Experience of managing a small team of games content writers, and the passion to be able to develop their skillsets
- Proven ability to sub and write high quality engaging, relevant content
- Experience managing freelancers and monthly budget management
- A deep understanding of SEO best practices and the ability to quickly develop these skills
- A fantastic contacts book and good relationships with industry figures
- Ability to use Google Analytics to report on and inform content strategies
- Knowledge and experience of content management systems
- Ability to work as part of a wider team
- Able to interpret third party data and use audience behavioural data to inform content strategy
- Excellent communication skills to work with internal and external stakeholders
What will I get in return?As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees (when we get back to the office)
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
We are FutureConnectors. Creators. Experience Makers
Future is a global multi-platform media company and leading digital publisher, with scalable brands and diversified revenue streams. We are dedicated to connecting over 300 million people worldwide with their passions, through expert content, world-class events and cutting-edge proprietary technology. We have big ambitions to transform media and change people’s lives.
We have a market-leading portfolio of over 220 brands spanning across technology, gaming, TV & entertainment, women’s lifestyle, music, sport, creative and photography, home interest and B2B. You may have heard of us…
But a stellar heritage isn’t enough. We continue to grow our portfolio and launch new brands, restlessly looking to improve, innovate and push the boundaries of what can be done. We develop leading-edge technology which is disrupting the media marketplace.
Together, we’re exceeding the expectations of everyone we exist for – our audiences, clients, staff and shareholders. In a short space of time, Future has transformed into an innovative global media platform.
We reap the rewards too, of course, with a fun and creative place to work with endless opportunities to forge a career. We believe in teamwork that transcends location, so we don’t have a Future HQ but a globally connected workforce across the UK, US, Europe and Australia
Every kind of talent is celebrated here.. We hire for person not for the role, looking for people who share our ambitions to be bold and innovate, making Future a global success story.
Let’s do this!To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why this is your dream job!
Inclusion & DiversityAt Future we are passionate about ensuring that as a business, we are continuing to promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do.
Future is an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process will be free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respects all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values which will continue to ensure that all applicants, current and future employees are treated with respect and fairness.
We are continuing to be inclusive in our approach to flexible working, ensuring that we are making adjustments where required and providing our employees the tools and support to enable them to grow and flourish in their careers