Translation Administrative Coordinator
Seoul, KR (Primary)
Reporting to the Translation Manager, you will work under the direction of your Translation Manager to assist the in-house Translation Team, primarily in the area of resourcing projects which require external resources including individual freelance translators, groups of freelance translators and agencies.
Based on information and instructions provided by your Translation Manager and Lead Translators, such as named freelances, required profile, skills, subject matter and project details, you will contact freelance translators using the SDL Vendor Database, clarify our requirements and confirm availability for the specified project work. You will convey responses and other information back to the Translation Manager and Lead Translators who will make the final selection of resources for their projects.
You will be fully familiar with the SDL Vendor Database, in terms of the resources, language combinations and subject areas applicable to your office, and the functions and rules associated with using the Database.
You will be responsible for ensuring that the Database is kept up-to-date at all times with Booking information, including when freelance translators are unavailable for SDL work due to prior commitments, holidays, etc. You will carry out regular availability updates of Database resources, well in advance of known periods when resources may become more limited, including public holidays such as Christmas and New Year and the summer holiday period. You will prepare reports to alert your Translation Manager and Lead Translators on resource levels in case extra steps are required to secure freelances for our projects.
You will note any other detail changes, such as address and technical skills, which you detect while communicating with our freelances, and you will pass the details promptly to the Vendor Management team so that the change can be recorded permanently in the Database.
You will be able to carry out sophisticated searches of the SDL Vendor Database to ensure that we can match as closely as possible resources with project requirements. You will be aware of new freelance resources added to the Database and will support your Translation Manager to ensure that we regularly include new freelances in project teams involving multiple translators. If, prior to or during any searches on the Database, you are aware of any resource specifications which may require significant amounts of extra translators or translators for unusual languages and subject matters, you will escalate to your Translation Manager, and the Vendor Management team as necessary.
Under instruction from your Translation Manager, you will carry out rate negotiation with freelance translators for specific projects, ensuring that all discounts are properly recorded in the Database. If you become aware of a discrepancy of rates especially if higher than on the Database, report this to your Translation Manager and then the Vendor Management team for resolution. Ensure that Lead Translators are always aware of median rates for the required specification of freelance translators when they ask you to contact freelances for their projects.
When we have finished working with freelances on projects, you will support your Translation Manager to ensure that accurate and meaningful performance History is entered on the Database, as per the established SDL corporate rule, in order to enable us to use the feedback to find the right translators for future projects.
You will be responsible for assisting your Translation Manager with internal recruitment, including placing adverts, collating responses and CVs, helping to organize interviews and looking after interviewees during their visits.
Working with your Translation Manager, you will provide support when required for project activities such as file analysis and preparation in SDL Trados, and sending prepared files to freelance translators.
- Resourcing projects using external resources as per specifications from Translation Manager and Lead Translators
- Updating Booking, Availability and History information on the Vendor Database
- Informing the Vendor Management team of any Database details which need to be updated
- Notifying the Vendor Management team about new projects which have specific requirements beyond the usual scope of the Database resources
- Checking that new freelance translators are tried out quickly on live projects
- Carrying out project-based negotiation and reporting rate discrepancies to Translation Manager and Vendor Management team for resolution
- Carrying out specified recruitment activities for in-house positions
- Preparing files and sending them to external resources
- Projects resourced in a timely manner, using the best qualified resources to do the job
- Database information, including Bookings and History kept up-to-date for any translators contacted during searches
- Translation Manager and Vendor Management team are notified in advance of projects with requirements beyond the usual scope of the Database resources
- Rate discrepancies escalated to Translation Manager and Vendor Management team
- Use of new translators on the Database
- Efficient organization of recruitment data
- Interviews organized effectively, including managing process, machines, rooms, etc.
- Accurate file preparation and timely dispatch of files
Competences and Experience
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills with an excellent telephone manner
- Ability to prioritize and to work to tight deadlines
- Proactive and flexible approach, reliable and systematic
- Linguistic background is an advantage
- PC literate with good experience of MS Office, especially Word and Excel
- Experience with Translation Memory tools is an advantage