The College of Southern Nevada appreciates your interest in employment at our growing institution. We want your application process to go smoothly and quickly. We ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
- Once you start the application process you cannot save your work. Please ensure you have all required attachment(s) available to complete your application before you begin the process.
- Required attachments are listed below on the posting. Your application will not be considered without the required attachments.
- Please note that applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
If you are unable to attach the required documents to your online application or need assistance regarding the application process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team within Human Resources via email at or call (702) 651-5800 to be directed to the appropriate Recruiter.
Job DescriptionPlease Note:
This job announcement is not an offer of employment. This requisition has been established to collect a robust candidate pool for part-time positions that may become available within the designated discipline at CSN. If a part-time position becomes available within the discipline, the hiring department will review the application material of the candidates who have applied and will invite select candidates to interview based on their qualifications. Should a candidate be selected for a part-time instructor position, no minimum course load is guaranteed and teaching assignments, if any, are contingent upon various factors, including but not limited to, minimum student enrollment and/or department need. No reimbursement for travel expenses will be provided to local or out of area/out of state candidates and there is no guarantee of continued or future part-time and/or full-time employment.
Core Responsibilities:The Adult Literacy and Language program with the Division of Workforce and Economic Development at the College of Southern Nevada actively maintains a pool of qualified High School Equivalency (HSE) instructors. Individuals will be selected from, on an as needed basis, by the department to fulfill part-time, temporary, non-tenure track instructional needs.
CSN’s Adult Literacy and Language instructors prepare adult learners from beginning to advanced levels of literacy and numeracy proficiency in preparation for the High School Equivalency (HSE) exam and post-secondary professional and academic pursuits. Students may take either the GED, HiSet or Tasc test to earn the HSE certificate issued by the State of Nevada. The five-part HSE exam includes reading, writing, math, social studies and science. Classes integrate classroom instruction, online learning, career exploration and workplace skills. The program requires dynamic, engaging instructors with excellent communication skills. Classes run 7-10 weeks, 4 days a week, 3 hours per day at various locations throughout the Las Vegas valley. They are typically held during morning hours or evening hours; however, additional schedules may come available.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Literacy, or closely related field from an accredited institution. Experience teaching basic through intermediate level math, reading, writing or High School Equivalent testing preparation.
ResponsibilitiesCandidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
- Using and developing a variety of effective teaching techniques and assessment methods (including exams) to support the rigorous program.
- Evaluating student oral presentations, projects, and written work using criteria relevant to the course content and learning objectives.
- Maintaining and submitting accurate records to meet published deadlines (i.e., syllabi, attendance, weekly lesson plans).
- Communicating and working cooperatively with colleagues on matters regarding course offerings, programs, and activities that enhance the development of the Adult Literacy and Language program.
- Meeting professional development requirements.
- Attending faculty meetings.
- Adhering to the prescribed curriculum and standards.
This is an ongoing pool of qualified individuals interested in part-time, temporary non-tenure-track instructional opportunities at the College of Southern Nevada.
These opportunities are part-time only. These opportunities may be terminated at will, at any time, for any reason, without notice; the appointee has no appeal rights. Temporary assignments are not eligible for consideration for tenure as part of the assignment.
Pay Rate$23.00 Hourly
Full-Time Equivalent 48.8%
Required Attachment(s)To be considered for this position applicants must attach the following to their application:
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
INTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY
CSN employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) MUST use the "Find Jobs" process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at CSN and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site. Locate this specific job posting by typing the requisition number in the search box.If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Posting Close Date 06/30/2022
Note to ApplicantApplicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
All document(s) must be received by 11:59 p.m. the day prior to the closing date posted on the job announcement.
This position may require that a criminal background check be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Schedules are subject to change based on organizational needs.
CSN is responsive to serving the educational needs of a diverse and ever-changing community. CSN employs only U.S. citizens and aliens authorized to work in the U.S. CSN does not sponsor aliens applying for faculty, professional staff, or management positions (H-1B Visas) in the absence of exceptional circumstances as defined by the USCIS.