The Netherlands, Amsterdam
At TomTomWe have software engineering in the core of our DNA. As the Senior Engineering Manager – Software Delivery Effectiveness, you will be leading the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), the workflow engineering practices, and the software delivery performance across all of TomTom. The role covers both online (cloud) and offline (onboard, mobile apps, SDK) software. You are obsessed with the internal clients and the external customers, aspirational in your goals, yet humble and unassuming in your interactions. A technical problem solver at heart, you know how to leverage new technologies to solve transformational business challenges. You apply software engineering principles and practices to any problem presented to you. You are in constant pursuit of improvements. Your stakeholders want to work with you because you understand their needs and are there for them. Leadership is in your DNA, and seeing your customers, clients and your own team succeed is what motivates you.
What you’ll do
- Sets and maintains the technical direction for CI/CD tooling, build automation and workflow engineering, optimized for cloud-first/cloud-native workloads.
- Is responsible for standardization, product selection, service delivery and platform-wide integration of CI/CD tools
- Enables distributed engineering teams to optimize the delivery of online and packaged (onboard, SDK, mobile) software.
- Leads the development of tool and platform integration, relentlessly pursuing robust automation with the intent to optimize velocity, quality and cost.
- Actively participates with Engineering teams in the product organizations to drive adoption, embracing a deep ‘customer-first’ mindset.
- Measures and optimizes software delivery performance across a diverse set of product engineering teams (>1,500 software engineers in total organized in >10 product units with a high degree of autonomy), using the Accelerate-KPI framework.
- Partners with peer engineering teams including issue management, cloud infra reference architecture, cloud center of excellence, observability and SRE.
- Ensures all aspects of software security are accounted for in the core SDLC processes.
- Remains deeply immersed in the world of cloud and cloud-native innovation, including both open source (CNCF) and the leading public cloud providers (Azure, AWS).
- Creates and sustains an environment of ingenuity and creativity and challenges the status quo to encourage innovation.
- Manages, mentors and coaches a team of 5-8 engineers, taking their personal development to heart.
What you’ll need
- CI/CD process at scale for multi-unit cloud-based product delivery
- CI/CD technologies including source code management (GitHub, BitBucket), pipelines (GitHub, Azure DevOps, Jenkins), secrets management (Vault), artifacts (e.g. Artifactory) , container-native deployment (Helm, Kustomize)
- GitOps practices and infrastructure automation including Infrastructure as code (Terraform) and basics of configuration automation (Puppet, Ansible)
- Kubernetes platform engineering in multi-cloud context (Azure, AWS)
- Serverless technologies (stretch)
- Software-defined operating models and technologies, including IaaS, CaaS and PaaS
- Software architecture fundamentals
- Deeply familiar with at least one major public cloud platform, preferably Azure, alternatively AWS
- Cloud-native architecture, technology, engineering and operations (CNCF)
- SRE best practices to achieve 99.99 availability
- Security controls for software engineering
- Minimum 8 years of experience in production-grade software engineering role
- Minimum 3 years of experience in managing a team (local and remote, size 5-8 engineers) and a proven track record of hiring and growing talent
- Extensive experience in software build, integration, and delivery systems and processes
- Track record of managing and optimizing software delivery performance through platform-level engineering
- Best-in-class technical leadership, following a structured approach to drive align and seek consensus
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- MSc in computer engineering or equivalent highly desirable
- The role is based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, but other sites where TomTom has substantial engineering presence will be considered, i.e. Berlin (Germany), and Łódź (Poland)
Achieve moreWe are self-starters who play well with others. Every day, we solve new problems with creativity, meet new people and learn rapidly at our offices around the world. We will invest in your growth and are committed to supporting you. In everything we do, we’re guided by six values: We care, putting our heart into what we do; we build trust (you can count on us); we create – driven to make a difference; we are confident, but don’t boast; we keep it simple, since life is complex enough; and we have fun because life’s too short to be boring.
After you applyOur recruitment team will work hard to give you a meaningful experience throughout the process, no matter the outcome. Your application will be screened closely and you can rest assured that all follow-up actions will be thorough, from assessments and interviews through your onboarding.
TomTom is an equal opportunity employerWe celebrate diversity, thrive on each other’s differences and are committed to creating an inclusive environment at our offices around the world. Naturally, we do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, religion, color, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, national origin, genetics, or age.
Ready to move the world forward?