At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Our Engineering Department (EN) pushes back the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the Mechanical & Materials Engineering Group (MME) of EN you will be a sheet metal worker & welder technician taking part in the fabrication of components for particle accelerators and High Energy Physics detectors.
You will join a team of professionals with specific experience developed through years, and your contribution will help maintain and develop this know-how, often developing prototypes, new designs and solutions. You will master an extensive range of sheet metal and welding equipment, technologies and processes for different materials.
Do you have a good theoretical and practical background and extensive experience in sheet-metal work and welding technologies? Do you want to use your skills for the fabrication of cryogenic, ultra-high vacuum and pressure equipment? Then join CERN and take part!
As Sheet metal worker & welder Technician you will:
- Perform high-quality sheet-metal work and welding for complex components, based on drawings and sketches, in a workshop or on site.
- Prepare and manage your own work, select the tooling, duly taking into account quality, pricing and scheduling requirements.
- Coordinate and technically supervise the work of colleagues where appropriate, give advice and contribute to their training.
- Take part in maintenance operations (technical assistance and call-outs) in the underground areas during machine shutdown periods and in the event of emergencies.
- Collaborate closely with the design offices and other engineering resources; give advice to users on sheet metal work and welding issues.
- Provide oral or written technical reports.
Higher technical diploma in the field of sheet-metal work and welding or a related field. International Welding Technician diploma (IWT)
- Extensive experience in sheet metal work and welding technologies with a good theoretical and practical background.
- Experience in sheet-metal work and welding technologies for the fabrication of cryogenic, ultra-high vacuum and pressure equipment would be an advantage.
- Experience in supervision of technical team would be an advantage.
- Manufacturing of mechanical parts: personally use forming technologies (cutting, rolling, bending, folding, forming, deep drawing and assembly), CNC programming of equipment, prevention and control of welding distortions and calibration operations.
- Knowledge and application of joining techniques: welding: extensive knowledge and personally use manual, orbital and CNC automatic arc welding, TIG, MIG/MAG, plasma, resistance welding, soldering and brazing with relevant welding certifications. Good knowledge of IW standards (qualifications, quality levels for imperfections, nomenclature of processes, symbolic representation on drawings).
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation: planning and control, knowledge of mechanics, develop the necessary tooling, descriptive geometry
- Quality management
- Knowledge of metals and alloys: composition, structure, properties, heat treatments: forming and welding metallurgy of stainless steels, aluminum alloys, copper alloys
- Design of mechanical systems: design and assemble tooling, read and interpret mechanical drawings including ISO tolerance.
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations Being rigorous and producing quality results at first attempt Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen Remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information Sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer Creating or participating in forums to exchange experience, comparing techniques and learn from others
- Communicating Effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented
- Working in Teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals. Building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships Seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 08/02/2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-MME-FW-2020-73-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician