Location:Derby, ENG, GB
Bombardier Transportation is a global engineering company that’s shaping the evolution of mobility. We have a rich heritage behind us, but it’s our innovative approach that puts us at the forefront of our industry. At the heart of everything are our employees and our suppliers, with whom mobility truly begins. Bombardier Transportation is committed to developing innovative solutions to move people within and between cities across the globe.
We are currently looking to recruit a Structures Engineer for our site Derby.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
You will work as part of the Structures team on both new design projects and the assessment of existing products. The Structure’s Engineer primary role is to undertake structural assessments (using both manual and Finite Element methods) on rail vehicle car bodies and bogies. The role will not only include carrying out structural analysis, but also the development of the designs to meet the structural and functional requirements of the products. The role will include deriving load cases, FE model setup, conducting the analysis, evaluating the results, modifying designs and writing the reports, as well as communicating the progress and results to the Project teams.
This is a varied role and will include and other duties include writing test specifications for laboratory and track test programmes and presiding over the testing and evaluating the results. Supporting the production line to resolve manufacturing issues with structural implications.
- Finite Element Calculations, Linear and non-linear
- General Mechanical Engineering design and problem solving
- Writing reports & presiding over Test programmes
- Evaluating supplier calculations & test results
- Work within allocated budget & schedule.
- Bachelor or Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a similar related degree
- Experience of Finite Element analysis package, such as Hyperworks, Ansys, Patran/Nastran, Ideas, Abacus, including both linear and non-linear assessments
- Previous experience in using CAD packages such as CATIA, Pro Engineer is desirable
- Understanding of Structural Mechanics and the fundamentals of Fatigue assessment methods
- Demonstrable practical experience in Mechanical Engineering outside of the role of structural mechanics, such as design, dynamics, testing is desirable
- Willingness to develop a wide range of skills and flexibility to work on variety of projects which require different engineering skills
- Results driven individual with good flexibility skills
- Ability to define and manage priorities within deadlines
- Problem solving skills
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Willingness to travel to visit other BT sites, suppliers and customers.
Why Work for Us?
Everywhere we operate, we reward effort and initiative. You are encouraged to ask questions and empowered to make decisions.
As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to create a stimulating and open workplace which fosters teamwork, fairness, respect and diversity.
Bombardier Transportation is an Equal Opportunity Employer Dedicated to Affirmative Action and Workforce Diversity.
Your ideas move people.
Posting date: 10/07/2020
Closing date: 09/08/2020
Competitive salary range
Number working hours: 37
Primary Location: GB-ENG-Derby
Employee Status: Regular
Job Segment: Manufacturing Engineer, Structural Engineer, Engineer, CAD, Drafting, Engineering