O2 is the commercial brand of Telefónica UK Limited, a leading digital communications company owned by Telefónica S.A.
With over 25 million customers across the UK, O2 is one of the world’s most innovative companies putting our customers at the heart of everything we do.
We are much more than just a network. We open up the endless possibilities of technology, connecting our customers to the things that they love and exploring new ways to open up the world for them.
We are always on the lookout for great talent.
Just like our customers, we offer our employees more. From a choice of benefits, rewards, training and ongoing career development there are many reasons to join O2.
Please note this role is a 12 month Fixed Term Contract
Location: Slough or LeedsAbout the Team:
The Telefonica IT Infrastructure environment is a dynamic team environment responsible for the Architecture, Design and Operations (alongside 3rd Party suppliers) of Telefonica’s high availability mission critical IT Infrastructure. The Infrastructure team:
- Architects, Designs and Builds all IT Infrastructure in line with best practices on Telefonica’s Cloud platform.
- Proactively performs scheduled changes within specified Maintenance Windows ensuring the Infrastructure is always up to date and running at optimum efficiency.
- Reactively resolves any incidents which occur and ensures these are responded to promptly, professionally and within agreed Service Level Agreements.
The Telefonica IT Infrastructure Team consists of Service Cloud Platform Managers, Delivery Managers, Design Managers, Solution Architects, Design Leads, Design Engineers, Engagement Analysts, Service Leads and Cloud Platform Engineers.
Your Role:The Senior Cloud Platform Engineer, a senior technical subject matter expert, will be responsible for Telefonica’s on premise Private Cloud Infrastructure with responsibility for Building, Configuration, Automation, Operations, Maintenance and Continuous Improvement.
Telefonica’s IT Private Cloud is the platform upon which Telefonica’s most critical business applications reside and must deliver 99.999% availability. The Cloud Platform Engineer is accountable for ensuring that the platform meets the availability and performance target set out to deliver business critical services.
This role is accountable for putting the customer at the forefront of everything that they do, ensuring that any decision made is in the best interest of the customer experience.
This role works alongside other engineering functions and as a result the role holder will need to have a broad and extensive understanding, knowledge and experience managing cloud environments across the core technologies.
The Cloud Platform Engineer must be focused with a structured and disciplined approach with confidence to deal with challenging situations including effective internal and external communications.
- As the leading technical resource for the Cloud Platform, make technical decisions that define the parameters for delivering the optimum performance and customer experience.
- Coaching/Mentoring the Cloud Platform Engineers within the team, strengthening their knowledge and skills of the technology and platform.
- Working alongside the Infrastructure Architects, implement technology solutions to continuously improve the capabilities of the platform.
- Build, Configuration, Run and Operation of Telefonica’s business critical Redhat Openstack Cloud platform upon which Telefonica business critical applications reside, accountable for achieving 99.999% availability.
- Accountable for the performance of the cloud environment throughout its lifecycle, ensuring any the latest software, security patches and system upgrades are applied within defined SLA’s.
- Constantly improve speed to market by ensuring continuous deployment through automation targeting 100% of day to day tasks being automated.
- Supporting the operation of Cloud platform components in test and production environments, working with 3rd parties as necessary to resolve problems.
Skills & experience:Essential:
- Redhat Openstack hands-on experience or equivalent Linux platform
- Excellent proven Linux administration experience, particularly in RedHat with relevant RedHat certification, RHCSA/RHCE/RHCVA
- Excellent proven experience with high availability applications, monitoring, and logging tools
- Expert knowledge with virtualization technologies
- Expert knowledge in developing Orchestration tools, automation tools specifically Ansible.
- Expert knowledge of Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment using Agile methodologies
- Prior experience building, configuring and operating IaaS private cloud platforms using OpenStack with container-based technologies such as Openshift, Docker and Kubernetes
- Ability to work with technical peers to ensure technical delivery meets Operational requirements.
- Identifies, recommends, coordinates, and/or conducts informal/formal training and technical forums and initiatives designed to share knowledge across the team and wider technical community
- Develops and executes strategies to increase Platform Security knowledge.
- OpenStack certification, Red Hat Certified System Administrator in Red Hat OpenStack and/or Red Hat Certified Engineer in Red Hat OpenStack.
- CCNA or similar certification in networking technologies.
- Experience with Software Defined Networking (i.e. Juniper Contrail preferred).
Salary and benefits:
We are looking to pay a competitive salary (depending on experience) for this position, and in addition we have some great benefits that could include a bonus, life cover, health care, holiday entitlement and lots of flexible benefits too.
Telefonica`s commitment to a great work-life balance allows us to consider flexible approaches to working. Like to know more? Feel free to raise it.
Joining Telefonica means opening up a world of freedom, support and possibility. A fascinating world where you`ll be able to think bigger, be bolder and try new things. And where there are endless opportunities to develop your career.
There`s so much to discover. Your adventure starts here.