Requisition ID: 1905770045W
Position OverviewJanssen, the pharmaceutical department of Johnson & Johnson, is the most innovative pharmaceutical company in the world. Since 2009, we have introduced 13 new medicines to the market, several of which are groundbreaking in their therapeutic field. We also want to take on this role of innovator within our “Engineering & Property services” (E&PS) department.
Within the department Project Management Facilities, which is part of Engineering and Property Services (E&PS) we are looking for a Construction Safety Manager.
The mission of E&PS is to shape, build and run unique facilities for a safe, healthy and inspiring work experience in support of the vision to deliver the best workplaces to collaborate, innovate and grow.
The Project Management Facilities team leads the identification, planning, design, execution, qualification and handover of capital investments for all Janssen Pharmaceutical sites in Belgium. The team is responsible for a portfolio of projects including new build and renovation of existing spaces for office, manufacturing and laboratory environments but also infrastructure and utility upgrades with a yearly average spend of approx. 30 MM Euro.
The Construction Safety Manager will be accountable for and support the different project teams in the deployment and practical implementation of J&J One Construction Safety Strategy (OneCSS) and local regulatory-based EHSS Standards on all construction projects on the Belgium campus.
- Support the J&J project teams in delivery of strategic, tactical and operational plans to execute E&PS OneCSS requirements, Janssen EHS procedures, requirements from Belgian legislation and permit requirements to ensure the safe execution of construction activities.
- Monitor the implementation of OneCSS across construction projects on the Belgium Campus to ensure safe and compliant construction activities.
- Develop and lead the governance for the implementation of OneCSS on the Belgium Campus.
- Will further develop, manage and lead the team of Safety DRI’s considering the portfolio of construction projects on the Belgium campus. Will ensure efficient use of the Safety DRI-resources across the portfolio and will drive compliance and consistency with standards across all construction projects.
- Provide oversight and direction to the Safety DRI team and undertake frontline reviews of construction safety on the individual construction projects to ensure consistent deployment of OneCSS (refer to the schedule of non-exhaustive tasks of the Safety DRI, attached):
- Frequent walk downs of construction sites as per formal construction site safety audit.. Provide leadership, support and clear guidance to project supervisors and Contractors as required.
- Monitor the use, approval of any J&J/CM work permits, including associated risk assessment and method statement (RAMS) review.
- Monitor construction activities to assure compliance with local site permit requirements.
- Develop a standard for contractor inductions, so as to ensure that contractors provide adequate site access control and inductions for construction and commissioning activities.
- participate as required, in project related activities such constructability review with contractors.
- Evaluate the current program to engage contractors and partners in construction safety and promote a positive safety culture on the site, enhance where needed and develop into a site wide program. As part of the program, attend and contribute to J&J, FM and Contractor safety-related meetings. Monitor the safety performance across all construction projects to ensure projects meet J&J and local regulatory requirements and standards during construction, commissioning and at handover:
- Align the key project metrics (leading & lagging indicators) with the online Global Construction Safety Statistics system.
- Checking that the project Safety DRI and collating key project metrics with Contractors using the Global Construction Safety Statistics system.
- Prepare and distribute reports on safety performance.
- Identify areas and plans for continuous improvement based upon safety performance.
- Develop, agree and deploy a construction site-based safety reward and recognition programs.
- Develop and deploy a program for safety inspections on construction sites, incl management engagement.
- Work with the team of Safety DRI’s on the individual projects so that we are consistent and persistent in the deployment of OneCSS, standards and communication:
- Ensure that there are effective communication arrangements to inform all projects of key issues including progress, lessons to be learned from incidents, safety culture, campaigns, and programmes of risk control.
- Ensure that the construction safety plans consider the following :
- the impact of construction works on operations and visa-versa.
- commissioning safety plan with specific focus on schedule, access to work spaces, and PTW with a focus on Lock Out Tag Out aspects.
- Support any investigations of construction accidents/ incidents if any and ensure timely reporting and escalation as per J&J E&PS and local site based EHS&S procedures.
- Support the communication structures for full collaboration between all parties involved in construction projects to ensure two-way communication, engagement and collaboration:
- Construction Safety Strategy.
- Communicate environmental, health and safety expectations.
- Promote involvement of workers in discussion around risk assessments, method statements etc.
- Ensure construction projects are audit ready to regulatory and J&J standards.
- He/she will also liaise with local EHS&S department:
- Provide information and training to the Safety DRI’s and others as needed on applicable local legal and site requirements.
- On local regulatory incident reporting and investigation requirements.
- Ensure project emergency response and evacuation plans are aligned with site emergency processes.
- involvement and engagement in construction safety audits etc.
- Meet the educational requirements as defined in Belgian legislation around safety coordination, minimum safety coordinator level 1 or equivalent.
- Advanced degree in Engineering, Occupational Safety, Environmental Sciences, construction management or related field. Masters degree would be desirable.
- 10+ years in construction projects of different scale and complexity in the pharmaceutical industry or equivalent, in different roles (construction management, construction safety supervisor, project management,…)
- Broad technical expertise in the different fields of EHS&S with a focus on Construction Safety preferably in a chemical, petrochemical, medical device, or a pharmaceutical-manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven track record of delivering agreed-upon expectations for construction safety in construction projects of different nature, scale and complexity.
- A strong collaborator with a proven track record on delivering safe construction projects
- A strong communicator & influencer who is credible, self-assured and highly capable of negotiating successful outcomes with site stakeholders (managers, leads, contractors, front line workers). He/she will have strong technical skills and the ability to explain complex issues and requirements in an easily understood manner. He/she will apply previous learning and ideas to new situations, projects and teams, developing creative solutions to manage risk to a reasonably practicable level.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the necessary capabilities to understand and find solutions for complex technical/regulatory issues.
- Excellent demonstrated project management skills are required, including the ability to lead teams, create dashboards, power-point presentations and track metrics, and assemble project information into clearly written reports that document findings & recommendations and communicate progress.