location Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Role Summary:The scope of this position includes design, implementation, and validation of closed-loop control systems for wind turbines.
Essential Responsibilities:The Operability Engineer will identify turbine behavior driving loads and performance and support definition/development of new control features. This will require strong collaboration with other areas to ensure accurate and optimal loads and performance predictions as a function of turbine controls, design elements and turbine operating environment. The Operability Engineer will also develop and improve tools for software generation and data processing.
- Participate in the development and enhancement of control algorithms that increase turbine performance, lower mechanical loading of the turbine, and at the same time allow the turbine to run with high availability.
- Participate in the enhancement of the current tool chain for software generation both for the loads simulation environment as well as the turbine PLC
- Cooperate with the Loads and Validation teams to analyze the impact of the control strategy on the mechanical loads of the turbine in simulation and through the evaluation of measurement data
- Develop and implement tools to process data both from simulations as well as experimental measurement campaigns
- Interface with Simulations and Controls Team and incorporate wind turbine and wind farm operability requirements into the design
- Validation of turbine controls based on turbine experimental tests results, possible involvement in turbine commissioning on site
- Support performance issues resolution from wind farms operation, including root cause analysis using problem solving methodology
- Support diagnosing performance data, as needed from prototypes and customer turbines
- Master’s degree in Control Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited College or University (or equivalent experience/knowledge)
- Demonstrated experience working in engineering field
- Experience in design and modeling of closed-loop/feedback control strategies
- Proficient in Matlab / Simulink for the design, simulation and validation of controls systems
- Good knowledge of C/C++
- Good understanding of classical (transfer functions, frequency domain design, etc) and basic knowledge in modern (state-space, optimal control, etc) control theory
- Experience with new controls algorithm development, implementation and validation techniques: Software in the Loop (SIL), Processor in the Loop (PIL), Hardware in the Loop (HIL)
- System or product-level mindset
- Proven ability to work in a cross-functional and global environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Fluent in English (spoken and written)
- Effective problem identification and solution skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, proven leadership skills and a positive energy
- Willingness to travel occasionally
- EU Work Permit
Desired Characteristics:If contracted in Spain:
Non-national candidates are responsible to know the minimum documentation requirements to be able to be contracted in country: NIE- Social Security Affiliation Number in Spain (NAF). They must be in possession of them at the time of start hiring. GE will not sponsor this requirement.
- Experience with wind turbine simulation tools and environment such as Bladed, Flex5, HAWC2
- Knowledge on system dynamics, controls and mechanical loads simulations
- Experience with real time controls design or modeling
- Wind industry experience with a focus on plant controls systems
- Strong analytical approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a matrix organization
- Experience in wind industry with a focus on plant controls systems
- Experience with GE’s MarkVIe or similar PLC’s
- Familiarity and practical experience with agile methodologies
- Strong analytical approach to problem solving
- Strong written communication skills
About Us:GE Renewable Energy harnesses the earth’s most abundant resources – the strength of the wind, the heat of the sun and the force of water – to power the world’s biggest economies and the most remote communities.
With an innovative spirit and an entrepreneurial mindset, we engineer energy products and digital services that create industry-leading value for our customers around the world.
We see the promise of renewable energy everywhere we look. Our team has the courage, scale, passion, diversity and resourcefulness needed to deliver that promise wherever and however the world needs it
Together with our customers, we’re proving that no one ever has to choose between affordable, reliable, or sustainable energy.
We are unleashing limitless energy.
Follow us at or on twitter @GErenewables.
GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, and according with all local laws protecting different status.
Follow us on , join our Group or become a fan of our page. Receive job and event notifications by becoming a member of the . Stay up to date on what’s happening at GE around the globe by checking out the .