Job ProfileWe are recruiting for a senior highways engineer in our Birmingham office. The transportation team is currently growing a highly skilled and customer-focused team to respond to an increasing number of secured highway schemes and potential future opportunities in local, national and international highways and light-rail markets. We are seeking senior engineers to work within our highways team on a range of projects which currently include:
- Routes to Market work with Skanska on the Midland and East region for Highways England.
- Solihull Town Centre junction improvements.
The team operates from grade A office space in the centre of the City, in a vibrant and caring, people-orientated culture, which encourages development and rewards good work.
The successful candidate will ideally be Chartered, have demonstrable highways and/or light rail experience and be technically proficient in one or more areas of technical capability such as alignment, drainage, pavement, signs and road markings. Candidates should also be able to show some experience of leading a section of work and mentoring team members.
Job DescriptionAs one of the Senior civil engineers working from our Birmingham office, you will be working at a high level on highway projects within the West Midlands and supporting other teams in the UK and on international projects. The role carries a high degree of autonomy. Our senior engineers are responsible for:
- Promoting and ensuring adherence to our health and safety policy and procedures.
- Managing discrete design packages and multi-disciplinary design teams.
- Guiding teams and clients through the approval processes, including the discharge of associated conditions.
- Showing technical leadership and providing technical expertise and advice.
- Controlling task programme and budgets.
- Presenting technical advice to clients and stakeholders.
- Assisting senior project managers on major schemes and with business development.
- Motivation and performance of junior staff.
- Reporting to their line manager.
Candidate SpecificationTo be the successful candidate you will be/have:
- A demonstrable track record in highway design and leading design teams
- A Chartered or Incorporated engineer with ICE or CIHT.
- Demonstrable experience of project management across multi-disciplines
- Experience of working for Highways England, local authorities or Passenger Transport Executives.
- Knowledge of highway design standards (DMRB) and specification (MCHW)
- Knowledge of contract preparation and procurement.
- Full awareness of H&S Legislation and how it is applied to the design process.
- Able to interpret client requirements to produce a sound engineering proposal.
- Experience in coaching, mentoring and developing people and teams
- Ability to assist in the development of the business
Equality, diversity and inclusion:Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are at the heart of our organisation. We promote equal opportunities and have several initiatives to create an inclusive workplace culture; Our dedicated inclusive recruitment page provides more information on our efforts and recognitions.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
Flexible working:At Mott MacDonald, we support our staff to create work-life balance which works for them and welcome candidates looking for career flexibility. We are open to discussing flexible working at interview stage.
We can offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.