Job Description - Engine Evaluation Engineer (TEM00121)
Engine Evaluation Engineer-TEM00121
Who we areCollaborative. Respectful. A place to dream and do. These are just a few words that describe what life is like at Toyota. As one of the world’s most admired brands, Toyota is growing and leading the future of mobility through innovative, high-quality solutions designed to enhance lives and delight those we serve. We’re looking for diverse, talented team members who want to grow and challenge what’s possible with us.
Who we’re looking forToyota’s Engineering Design & Evaluation Department (EDE) is looking for a passionate and highly-motivated Engine Evaluation Engineer with an interest in ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) design and evaluation.
The primary responsibilities of this role are the following:
- Evaluation of engine assembly, engine systems and engine components including:
- Performance testing
- Durability testing
- Data analysis and test reporting (including conclusions and next steps)
- Validation of engine component functionality and reflection to iterative design
- Engine evaluation program management
Reporting to the Senior Manager Engine Evaluation, the person in this role will support the Engine Design and Evaluation department's objective to build “World Class Powertrains in North America”.
What you’ll be doing
- Design Liaison: Liaising with the Design function of EDE (Engine Design & Evaluation) to ensure effective planning and execution of engine and component evaluation activities
- Test Planning: Developing evaluation and test plans and schedules to permit multiple new engine designs, sub-system hardware, and component design changes to be evaluated in parallel
- Resource Planning: Ensuring facility capacity, budget availability and clear test priorities
- Test Execution: Coordination and execution of engine setups and instrumentation, component and durability test management and assistance, teardowns and part evaluations to determine acceptability and compliance with test standards and criteria, plus follow-up to ensure recommendations are understood
- Team Communication: Maintaining a high level of engagement with the management team, test technicians, and design engineers to ensure test quality and schedule adherence
- Reporting: Preparing and delivering professionally written technical reports and presentations to TMC (Toyota Motor Company) and TMNA (Toyota Manufacturing North America) management
- Capability Improvement: Identifying and proposing opportunities for evaluation enhancements, plus leading improvement initiatives to build increased capability within the EDE (Engine Design & Evaluation) Department
- Collaborating: Between internal North America Departments (incl. Design, Quality, Calibration, Testing, Facilities, Purchasing, Toyota Plants (NAMC’s), and with Toyota Head Quarters in Japan, to build some of the safest, most advanced, and most reliable vehicles on the planet
What you bring
- Bachelor of Science (or higher) in Mechanical Engineering or relevant degree
- Engine design and/or engine testing/calibration
- Demonstrable understanding of engine control systems, engine assembly, sub-system performance, and durability testing.
- Proficient in the use of data acquisition equipment and analysis tools
- Experience using engine dynamometers and various related measurement tools & systems
- Hands-on experience with engine/powertrain assembly
- Effective communication and presentation skills (such as A3 writing)
- Ability to read and understand engineering design drawings
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Team-oriented thinking, structured problem-solving, and a “can-do” attitude
- This position requires driving. A motor vehicle record that’s acceptable by company standards is required for this position
What you may bring
- Master’s Degree n(or higher) in Mechanical Engineering
- CAD (Computer Aided Design) and/or CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) experience (incl. CREO, GT-Power, etc.)
- Toyota experience
What we’ll bringDuring your interview process, our team can fill you in on all the details of our industry-leading benefits and career development opportunities. A few highlights include:
- A work environment built on teamwork, flexibility and respect
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career, as well as tuition reimbursement
- Vehicle purchase & lease programs
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans for your entire family
- Flexible work options based on business needs
- Toyota 401(k) Savings Plan featuring a company match, as well as an annual retirement contribution from Toyota regardless of whether you contribute
- Paid holidays and paid time off
- Referral services related to prenatal services, adoption, child care, schools and more
- Flexible spending accounts
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
What you should knowOur success begins and ends with our people. We embrace diverse perspectives and value unique human experiences. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the diversity of the communities where we live and do business. Applicants for our positions are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Have a question or need assistance with your application? Check out the How to Apply section of our careers page on Toyota.com!
To save time applying, Toyota does not offer sponsorship of job applicants for employment-based visas or any other work authorization for this position at this time.
JobResearch & Development
Primary LocationUS-MI-Detroit/Ann Arbor-Ann Arbor
OrganizationTEMA - Toyota Motor Engineering and Manufacturing North America
TravelYes, 15 % of the Time
Job PostingMar 22, 2019, 12:34:10 PM