Founded in 2007, Babbel is the world’s top-grossing and most effective language-learning app. No small feat, and no small challenge. In a moment rife with talk of walls, we’re building bridges — making the language-learning journey as exciting and empowering as possible, helping people forge new connections and participate in worlds bigger than their own. We do things that matter. And foremost, we make people speak their new language as they’ve always wanted to. Come work with us.
There’s still so much to do.Babbel is for everyone, not some niche or elite strata of learners. Everyone. As our user base has grown, so has what they need from us. Their learning needs, life experiences, and reference points become more varied and colourful by the day. Meeting that means ensuring users see themselves reflected —not just in our product— but the world it allows them to imagine with us. That means reflecting the dynamism and diversity of our users, as much as possible, in the production of Babbel. We currently have 600 people from more than 50 nationalities working in our Berlin and New York offices, challenging and learning from each other at every step. A culture of difference and dignity is critical to how we’ve connected with millions of users, in every hemisphere.
We are looking for a System and Network Engineer to join our Team in Berlin!
In this role, you will help to build up and run our growing IT infrastructure that Babbelonians make use of every day. You will also be trying out new domains, technologies and ways of working in a fast-moving and diverse environment.
- Communicative and collaborative
- Pragmatic, with action bias and can-do attitude
- Self-directed with the ability to develop action plans, projects, reports, status, and presentation material
- Help develop Babbel's internal technology infrastructure
- Define and execute technology projects that impact all Babbelonians
- Provide support for network deployment and maintenance projects and upgrade server, network, hardware and software components as needed with limited assistance
- Perform custom configuration for servers, security devices, databases, storage appliances (SAN), IP telephony (PBX), network devices such as switches, firewalls and wireless controllers
- Re-configure network equipment as necessary to handle environmental changes
- Independently design, build, maintain and take ownership of new internal services used by our colleagues
- Create, and test security measures (e.g. access authentication and disaster recovery)
- Identify and implement automation and configuration management tools as well as innovative solutions with a strong focus on long-term stability and maintainability of our infrastructure
- Some years of practical experience in general system administration and network administration (e.g. Server management, Firewalls/Routers/Switching, Wireless, DHCP and DNS)
- Knowledge in solving security problems, including certificate management (e.g. 802.1x, SSL) and network/firewall configuration and encryption
- Some years experience in Linux environments and with Microsoft Server Technologies
- Experience with identity management (e.g. LDAP, AD, SAML, OAuth) and source control (e.g. GIT, SVN, etc)
- Confidence in setting up and handling relational databases (e.g. maintenance, migration and troubleshooting
- An analytical mindset and ability to communicate complex matters in a structured way
- Used Atlassian and Microsoft products before (e.g. JIRA and Confluence, Office365)
- Excellent written and spoken English skills
- Knowledge of macOS and Windows desktop operating systems
Nice to have:
- Intermediate knowledge of networking security (experience with IDS)
- Expertise in cloud computing (AWS, Azure or Google Cloud Platform)
- German language skills
Why Babbel?Babbel is the world’s most successful language learning app. Work with us to make a real impact in the world, in a meaningful way.
- We’re driven by a bold challenge
- We solve meaningful problems - at scale.
- Diversity and difference are our strengths; lifelong learning is our life’s blood
- Work within a high-performing team at Babbel.
- Tackle a steep learning-curve – personally and professionally.
- Work in a challenging environment and where you’re expected to bring your game face
- Take advantage of a lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours.
- Draw from a vibrant international company with people from over 50 different nationalities.
- We offer great company benefits (high-end company bike, fresh fruit & drinks).
Sounds good? We are already looking forward to hearing from you! Check out our jobs page, our blog, and ourtechblog!
Questions about a career at Babbel? Contact us!