Software Engineer (Backend) - Direct Messages
Who We AreOur team builds, scales and maintains the software services that power Twitter Direct Messages. We own both the developer platform and infrastructure for private messaging as well as the end-user experience. Our work is an integral part of Twitter’s conversational product vision and directly impacts the lives of our users and success of our business. Operating our own systems at hyper-growth levels is a rewarding challenge; it is what helps make us great. We are a tightly-knit and passionate group that loves working together, and we are looking for exceptional additions to our flock.
What You’ll DoAs an engineer on our team, you will solve some of the most difficult problems in modern software engineering. The scale at which your systems operate will require not only producing and using highly-performant algorithms and data structures, but also solving complex problems involving distributed systems and emergent behavior of service-oriented architectures.
You will have the opportunity to work on some of the world’s most highly-scaled distributed systems. Our engineers specialize in running high throughput, reliable services: our infrastructure receives millions of messages per day and serves billions of API requests, all with an uptime in excess of 99.9%. You and your teammates will power a system relied on every day by millions of people across the world.
Who You Are
- You are passionate about building highly scalable systems and have experience with web infrastructure, distributed systems, performance analysis, and/or large-scale data processing.
- You have expertise developing on the JVM, including asynchronous I/O, concurrency, and the Java memory model.
- You have experience with, and enjoy building product and features and working with product managers and designers.
- You are familiar with standard software engineering methodology, e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation.
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment and interact effectively with others.
- You bring thoughtful perspectives, empathy, creativity, and a positive attitude to tackle problems at scale.
- You have empathy for your users and are interested in understanding the human impact of your work across all cultures and walks of life.
Here’s all the legal good stuff:
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.