Software Engineer (Backend) - Account Security
San Francisco, CA
Are you an engineer who’s passionate about building systems to strengthen the security of users' accounts? Do you love working on challenging problems that require a multi-disciplinary approach, creative solutions, and rapidly-iterating products? Will you be proud to work on world-class systems, products and tools around preventing and detecting account compromise, protecting our users, and solving real-world problems? If so, then come join us!
Who We AreThe Account Security team is a full-stack team with expertise in backend, mobile, and web. Our goal is to protect users' Twitter accounts and identities by applying security standard methodologies. We believe in these principles:
- The best way to address account compromise is to detect and prevent it before it happens.
- Users should have the tools they need to protect themselves and their accounts.
- When we detect a compromise, we should move quickly to restore the account to a healthy state.
On the backend, we continue to maintain and improve Twitter's Login and OAuth systems that powers tens of millions of auth requests every single day. On the product side, we develop security features such as:
- Two-Factor Authentication
- Password Management and Reset Flow
- Login and Device Management
- Compromised Account Detection
- Frictionless Login
What You’ll DoWe believe passion and personality matter. We’re looking for someone who can help us build, scale, and maintain user-facing products and large-scale systems, all of which have a direct impact on the lives of our users and the success of our business. We need natural leaders who take active roles in shaping the future of Twitter engineering while embodying our core values.
- Design and implement security features and tooling that improve end-to-end account integrity, from fake signups to account compromise.
- Collaborate with our Machine Learning and Scaled Enforcement teams to analyze the latest attacker techniques and develop solutions to detect and stop them proactively.
- Extend and improve large scale distributed systems and services that power user authentication and authorization on Twitter.
- Work closely with our internal teams including Trust and Safety, Legal, and Policy to design and implement solutions that make Twitter safer for its users.
Who You Are
- You have experience building product features and working with distributed systems.
- You are familiar with standard software engineering methodology, e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation.
- You are interested in working closely with a diverse, multi-functional team.
- You think critically about users’ needs and can interpret those findings into features and products.
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment and interact effectively with others.
- You ground your decisions with data and reasoning and can adapt to new information to make informed choices.
- You bring thoughtful perspectives, empathy, creativity, and a positive attitude to tackle problems at scale.
- Interest in general security and/or data privacy is a plus.
Here’s all the legal good stuff:
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.